Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's My Mind's Fault!

Today I had one of the funniest conversations with Noah.

It was nap time and naps weren't happening.  After going in to Noah's room multiple times telling him to go to sleep and exercising various forms of discipline, I finally made him go into my bedroom because I wanted Nathan to get a nap (they are currently sharing a bedroom). 
The move did not help.  His antics did not stop.  I about lost it when I walked in to find all of my jewelry spread across the bed and a broken bracelet. 
After laying down the final discipline kiss of death, the following conversation ensued, with Noah in tears. 
Me: "You made some bad choices.  Who's fault is that?"
Noah, pointing to himself, red in the face, crying.
Me: "Use your words.  It was your fault wasn't it?"
Noah, nodding his head, through tears, screaming: "It wasn't my fault.  It was my mind's fault!  I don't understand it!"
He was so serious, and so mad.  His gestures were dramatic.
He further explained to me, "Ever since I got home from school my brain just won't stop!  It won't let me sleep.  I am trying to sleep but it keeps waking me up!  It's crazy!  I don't understand why."

Okay.  That is hilarious.
It isn't his fault that he won't take a nap, and that he is keeping his brothers awake, and that my jewelry is all over the bed.  It is his mind.  His brain is telling him to do those things.

Although it sounds like a multiple personality disorder, I must confess that I think it is pretty genius of him.

I can't believe that at 4 years old he realizes that his brain is working so hard that he can't "turn off his mind."  He is actually feeling what it is like to be physically tired but mentally firing on all cylinders, and he is fully aware that it is happening.  Poor thing.  I don't think I was ever that self-aware. 

We made him go to bed early tonight as part of his punishment and he had bags under his eyes.  (Last night he claimed that he couldn't sleep because he kept thinking about dreams, so he was getting out of bed using some crazy excuses until about 9:30).

I am praying that he gets some rest tonight, and that whatever is making his brain so crazy isn't as intense.  And maybe I will let him use some of that eye cream that the lady at the make-up counter so graciously gave me for free the last time I was there.

1 comment:

  1. poor thing has a lot going on in that mind right now with all the change.... give him a break ;) hehe!! that is pretty clever!

    ReplyDelete