Sunday, January 29, 2012

Why We Ate Pizza Tonight

Have you ever had one of those days that you just wish you could rewind and start over?
Or maybe just one of those afternoons?
I have those a lot.
Probably too much.
Had another one today.

A few days ago I asked my mother-in-law to give me a recipe for quick and easy potato soup.  She sent it immediately, and I wrote down all three ingredients.  When I made my trip to the grocery store I picked up the items with little incident*.

*Side Story: While in the grocery store, I had to call the mother-in-law to verify the size of the can of chicken broth.  Old lady on motorized chair with cart did not like the fact that I was bending down discussing sizes of cans on the phone.  Apparently I was in her way.   Said old lady kept inching towards me on her motorized vehicle in an attempt to run me over.  After narrowly escaping an unfortunate incident with a senior adult, I got my stuff and got out.

I have been looking forward to this soup for about three days.  Tonight, it finally came time to make it.
I got the can of chicken broth out and tried to open it.  The electric can opener that we have had since we got married decided today was the day it would quit.  I kept trying and trying.  I swear the can opener was laughing at me.   Fail.

Normally, this would not be a huge deal.  A girl like me always has a back-up.  Except our back-up is sitting in a pile of boxes in the garage.  I only unpacked the bare minimum of stuff because we knew we would not be in this rental house long.  I even remember thinking, "I never use that manual can opener.  I think I can do without it for three months."  Fail.

My husband suggested we open the can with a hammer and nail.  Umm, no.  I finally managed to pry the can open and pour out the broth only to discover little shavings of aluminum in the broth.  Kenneth could see I was frustrated and volunteered to go to the store and get a new can opener and can of broth.

He was gone forever.  At least 35 minutes.  Apparently all the Wal-mart workers decided to take a break the minute he walked into the store.  Subsequently he spent about 20 minutes walking the aisles trying to find an electric can opener.  To no avail.

He came home and told me that he just bought me a manual one.  Except not.  He pulled the appliance out of the bag, and I realized he had bought a garlic press.  Those are great for garlic.  Not for opening cans.  Fail.

After an hour since my first attempt, I managed to get the can open, pour in the broth and start the soup.  I poured in the frozen potatoes and the gravy, which was the next step.  It didn't look right.  I checked the recipe again.  Awesome.  I poured in brown gravy mix instead of country gravy.  There was no salvaging this one.

Dinner=ruined.
Again.
Fail.

I looked around and there was nothing in the house that I could just whip up.
Not even a good "dinner" cereal.
Fail.  Yet again.

...And this is why we ate pizza tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Kristy, I am so glad you blog. This post actually made me laugh out loud, and I am completely by myself. Thank you for sharing what real life looks like. :c)

    ReplyDelete