Monday, June 25, 2012

Count It ALL Joy

So the last 48 hours have been kinda crazy. 

The kids have been the closest to wild animals that I have ever seen them.  One in particular is trying my patience in a way I cannot even describe.  To be honest, I have found myself sitting on the floor, head in hands, just asking God to help me through, calm me down, and forgive me for responding in anger...frequently.  The Spirit is quick to remind me that "the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God" (James 1:20).

The AC in our house went out on the day it was 95 outside.  Yes, it was uncomfortable, but I wasn't that upset about it.  Our house is still under warranty.  I felt terrible for our pregnant guest however.  I can only imagine how miserable she felt, and yet she didn't complain.

Then we noticed that one of the tires on the car was almost totally flat.  Kenneth managed to get to a gas station to get air in that tire, only to notice that there was a huge nail in yet another tire (3rd one this month).  Then he put the key in the ignition and the car would not start.  Finally he got the car to start.  He drove to church.  Later he tried to change the flat tire and put on the spare.  Only to notice that the spare also had a big hole in it.  He had to catch a ride home. 

Meanwhile, the satellite dish for the TV totally went out.  I tried calling technical support and of course they could not help.  A technician has to come out to fix the satellite.  He can't come for 4 days.

Once Kenneth got home we had a good talk about how the Lord is testing us.  These are all first world problems.  We have plenty of reasons to still praise the Lord!  Are we going to complain about all that is breaking, or are we going to trust Him and try learn whatever it is that He is trying to teach?

Right now our church is going through the book of James on Sunday mornings.  Kenneth has had a lot of preaching responsibilities this summer, so he has been diligently studying this book on his own.  Because I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to do a precepts study on the book of James on my own.  Intense.

We are certain that God is teaching us about putting our faith into action.  He is testing to see if we are going to respond according to His Word.  I pray that I am found faithful.

This morning Kenneth got up early to take one of the tires to get a patch in it, then drive it up to the church to put it on the car.  Once that was finished he drove the van back home, then we all piled in the car to take him back to get the car.  Did that.  As we were leaving, the key would not start the car again. Kenneth waved me down before I was out of the parking lot to share the good news.

We started cracking up.  And we starting quoting James 1:2-5.

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."

The car started. 

I am praying intensely that the Lord would help me to "count it ALL joy."  My struggles with the kids' behavior specifically.  It is not easy.

3 comments:

  1. Continue to fight the good fight, Kristy! I love what I read in Kisses from Katie, God DOES give us more than we can handle so we can reach the end of us and then depend on Him more than ever! You are doing an amazing job! Thanks for sharing your struggles. Oh, how so many of us can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to fight the good fight, Kristy! I love what I read in Kisses from Katie, God DOES give us more than we can handle so we can reach the end of us and then depend on Him more than ever! You are doing an amazing job! Thanks for sharing your struggles. Oh, how so many of us can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I am having my sweet college girls I am discipling memorize James1....all of it :) So far, we are through verse 5. This is exactly why I want them to have it memorized, so it will be written on their hearts during moments like this :) You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete