Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Its Called PROGRESS

So, it is really no secret that Asa is not my biggest fan.
And all joking aside, Kenneth and I have felt like he hates me.  
Truly.
Some of you may have even witnessed this behavior.
He loves Kenneth.
Me, not so much.
It is a tough pill to swallow, but we get by with humor and prayer.

The last 24 hours have been great, and I wanted to be sure to include it on here.
Last night was the first time EVER that Asa has given me a kiss without being forced.
Usually at night when I go in to kiss him goodnight he will leap up in his crib and run to the other side, turns his back to me and screams "No!"  Kenneth then usually comes in and sternly tells him that he has to give me a kiss.  He begrudgingly listens.  When Kenneth is not home for bedtime I hold his face in my hands and kiss him anyway while he screams and tries to get away.  He hates it.  Then I usually tell him, "I love you anyway." 
(And, in honor of total transparency, I am going to add that this little reminder is not always said in the nicest of tones.  I confess that it gets weary feeling hated by your 2 year old son.)

Last night I walked in and he just looked at me.  He stayed laying down and had almost a smile on his face.  As I got near his crib he actually puckered up his lips a little bit.  I gave him a kiss and said goodnight and he didn't scream.  Praise the Lord!  
Asa has been home with us 22 months. 

Here are some other praise worthy things I have experienced with Asa in the last week.
*He has been waking up at 7 or later for the last 7 days.
*He has been sleeping through the night for a couple of months.  No middle-of-the-night scream fests.(Thanks, Melatonin, you wonder herb!)
*When he wakes up he is not waking up screaming.  He nicely yells for us, or yells that he is "all done."  This has been going on for at least a month.  Today he was even playing in his crib.
*I have only had to spank him 3 times today, and it is already 3:15!!!!!  I am also going to note that what he did constituted an immediate spanking.  We have had no time-outs yet today!  And, have I mentioned it is already 3:15 pm?!!
*We met Kenneth for a birthday lunch today and Asa was absolutely hysterical without being destructive and defiant.  I am pretty sure Kenneth was to the point of tears we were laughing so hard.

These are all HUGE HUGE HUGE notes of progress.

I am not going to lie, these past 22 months have been the hardest of my life.  
But I wouldn't take it back.
I wouldn't "not" do it.
I can't say I wouldn't change a thing, because that would be lying.
But..
I wouldn't ever change the decision we made to adopt Aiden and Asa
because it was one out of obedience to God. 
I am so thankful He called us to adopt.  
Although the LORD has brought us through some difficult and border-line psychotic moments, it is His plan for our family.  We rest in His full sovereignty and we know that He is up to something great.  The difficulty makes the good times that much sweeter. 
I am excited to see His full plan for our boys, and for us, whenever that may be revealed. 
He is a good God and we trust Him.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how tough it has been but the difference you are making in your child's life is so amazing!! So thankful that you are forming a bond! Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy for your progress! so understand and love your heart!

    ReplyDelete