Thursday, April 19, 2012

Another Embarassing Trip to the Grocery

Why is the grocery store always a place of embarrassing moments for me?  Good grief.

Today I took the four boys to the grocery, which is a feat in and of itself.  I am never, never in a good mood when we leave.  Imagine two boys screaming and trying to climb out of the cart.  Then hitting each other and laughing, grabbing brothers' shirts and trying to look down them, etc.  Then imagine two boys running up and down aisles, yelling at each other, hitting one another, laughing hysterically (more like a very loud squeal), not paying attention and knocking into elderly ladies or people who obviously hate children.  Fun times abound.

So coming off our last trip to the store when Noah loudly asked me if a sweet older woman was blind, me trying to cover it up and say, "No, silly, you were in her way" and then him loudly yelling, "Well, her eyes look like she is blind"...I was hoping this would be less eventful.  Really, Kristy, really?

Among the usual embarrassment, I just tried to get out as quickly as possible.

Then we passed a group of 3 black women shopping together.  Noah yells, "Hey!  Where are they from?"  I quietly said, "Here."  He yells back, "No!  You see those black people over there?  Where are they from?!"  I wish I could describe his tone.  Sorta like a why-would-they-be-here kind of thing.

For the love!  Child, do you not know how to talk like a normal person?  Why in the world do you have to ask me questions about people in the store in the loudest voice EVER?! 

So then I just said, "Noah, not every black person is from Africa."  Seriously.  We see black people ev.er.y day.  Every day.  We have to wait until we are at the grocery, standing right next to them, to ask where they are from in a way that sounds like they have no business being here. 

As if that was not enough we are in the check out line.  I have almost the entire cart loaded onto the belt when Noah yells "I have to pee!" and starts grabbing himself.  Really?  Now?  I told him he had to hold it, to which he says, "Okay.  I'll hold it Mom."  Then he proceeds to grab his crouch and cross his legs.  Aiden then says, "Noah, what are you doing?"  Noah yells loudly again, "I am grabbing my penis!"  Pretty sure they heard us several aisles over.  I heard the cashier snicker.  All this while Asa is pulling stuff off the shelves left and right and Nathan has his shoes in his hands hitting Aiden with them. 

1 comment:

  1. oh, dear.... i don't know whether to laugh or cry?! kami always screams in WalMart, "Look, Mommy, they are black!" As if I have never exposed her to anything but the white man!

    ReplyDelete