Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Something Beautiful

I saw something beautiful today, in the most unexpected place.

After a crazy twenty minutes inside the bank with the three youngest cherubs, (complete with Asa running into the secret employee break room then jumping out and screaming at me from behind the coke machine), I took them all to Great Clips for Nathan to get his hair cut.  I had no idea that I would be waiting almost an hour.  You can imagine the condition I was in by the time I caught a glimpse of this.

There I was talking with another customer, watching Nathan do amazing in the stylists' chair, and I saw a mother and her daughter walk in.  They both looked plain (meaning no make-up, no jewelry, basic clothing), and, to be honest, poor.  When asked what they wanted, the mother smiled, "We were hoping to get her hair styled for this" and she proudly pulled out a graduation cap.  She was beaming with pride that her daughter was going to graduate from high school tonight.  The daughter was smiling behind beautiful, long locks of brown hair.  I could tell this was a very special treat, for both of them.  This mother was extending herself to show her daughter that high school graduation is a big deal and an accomplishment she should be proud of.   

I cannot tell you the beauty of watching this mother be so proud of her daughter, and so delighted to gift her with a curling style at Great Clips to celebrate this milestone.  And the beauty of seeing this young girl almost giddy about an impending hair style and high school diploma.  Her eyes displayed excitement and gratitude for her mom.  I was happy for them and thankful that they could have such a moment together. 

How often do I take my own curling iron for granted, let alone the drawers full of nice make-up that I have tucked under the bathroom sink?  How often do I take my kids to get a hair cut and not think twice about the cost?  How often do I take for granted that my children will grow up, graduate high school and then go on to college?  I am also very ashamed to admit that as a teenager, a style at Great Clips would not have been my first choice for a "treat."  I was way too selfish and ungrateful.  Although the Lord has brought me far from the girl I once was, I still have much to learn.

The swirl of emotion that has come upon me after just a few brief moments of watching this mom and daughter is hard to put into words.  The Spirit often speaks to us through the "random" encounters, and works in places we least expect...like in the middle of Great Clips on a Tuesday afternoon.

Such unexpected beauty can be so humbling.


No comments:

Post a Comment